Sunday, October 28, 2012

Stamped and Dipped

After five missed calls this morning from Viengmany, I finally called her back and agreed to a noon pick up for our Thailand adventure.

She showed up and we drove to the Friendship Bridge somehow avoiding all of the traffic from boat racing preparations. Her goal was shopping for the household essentials, I was just along for the ride.  Most people use the bridge to renew their visas (Kiki etc.), but I lucked out and have a government issued multiple entry visa, so entering/exiting the country is free and relatively easy. 

The friendship bridge is about 20 minutes outside the city and crosses into Nong Khai, Thailand.  We parked the car, exchanged some money and got in line to exit Laos.  On the other side, we bought a bus ticket, paid a departure fee and boarded the bus to Thailand.  Five minutes later, we got off, passed through another set of lines with a separate set of paperwork and were shuttled into a doisan for the shopping center.  

We walked into the mall and it was mobbed.  The first thing I saw was a Starbucks.  See, it's just like home over here!  Making our way through the crowd we made our way to Tesco, the Walmart of Thailand.  And it literally had everything! It was crazy!!!!

I loaded up on some daily essentials but was so overwhelmed by the experience (and dreading carrying anything back on the bus) to buy much.  The highlight of the trip came when I saw a DAIRY QUEEN.  Yes, Mom, if you hadn't decided to come visit yet, you now have no excuse.  I must say, the dipped cone hit the spot (no Buster Bars, sorry).

Viengmany bought so much that we had to find help to load it back into a doisan and then onto the bus to the border.  Somewhere between Thai border patrol and getting back on the bus to get across the bridge I lost my bus ticket, but clearly I look flustered and after giving the guy the lower lip, he let me get on the bus.  

We made it across and waited in a long line of Lao people to get back into Laos.  Surprisingly I had no problems with my visas and I can safely say I survived by first border crossing!

Viengmany drove me back into the city and dropped me at home.  Kiki and Brad might come over later for dinner, but since it's a work night, we won't be out late.  Such responsible adults...

No comments:

Post a Comment