Saturday, October 13, 2012

Farang in the House

Friday came and went like any other normal day in the office.  The weekly planning meeting scheduled for 2:00 started promptly at 3:41 without anyone showing signs of concern.  By 5, I found myself back in my room, patiently watching the vice presidential debate as it slowly loaded onto my trusty overworked Mac.  As frustrating as it was to wait for each short segment to stream, I can only imagine how fast neurons in Ryan's brain were firing and the amount of contracting done by his forehead muscles.  Guy's going to have some serious wrinkles later on.

Having missed the group dinner excursion, I found myself eating pasta again, which was fine as I know I'll be back to sticky rice in no time.  Fell asleep watching poorly produced British comedy, but I remember it was funny.

Woke up, got dressed and flooded the bathroom in the showering process.  No surprise there, just another day in Laos! Was ready to go by 9:45 when Mr. Khampang (our driver) showed up to take Viengmany and I (and Youla and Lathtana) to his house for a meal.  Viengmany rolled up in her distinguished soccer mom mini van with her 11 month old son and after no signs of Youla, we left the office.  Lathtana declined the invitation in person and we drove to Mr. Khampang's sister's house in the middle of town.  We picked up his daughter and a whole array of food including 10 kilos of noodles for pho.  I felt bad as he clearly expected more people to join us.  I ran out of the car to the market to quickly buy some apples so I didn't show up empty handed.

The 45 minutes drive out to Mr. K's house was beautiful.  He lives in Pong village but stays in XK during the week for work.  His house stands on a set of pillars and is one very large room with a kitchen area on one side and the rest open and lined with bamboo mats.  The village is very organized, with fenced off gardens and rice fields surrounding the perimeter.

Walking through Pong Village.


We sat down on the floor and were presented with our first course.  I really didn't understand how much food was going to be served but having a Jewish mother and grandmother I should know to come to any event on an empty stomach.  First round included Lao style papadums which were delicious and some of my apples.  Feeling like I had already eaten enough, we were presented with another tray of food, this time the noodles.

Since Youla and Lathtana didn't come, they joked I had to eat three bowls of pho, but that was not going to happen.  I added the noodles to a bowl, threw in some greens, poured in the soup and squeezed a lime on top.  It was really good! I still struggle to maneuver the chopsticks in one hand and spoon in the other, but such techniques will take time.  

Preparing vegetables for pho.

The last tray of food was brought out and bowls of sticky rice were placed in front of us.  Although I couldn't imagine eating any more carbs, I followed suit, balling up the rice and dipping it in the various sauces.  There was also chicken and grilled fish which I tried.  The soup in the middle of the tray was delicious, but on closer inspection contained two chicken feet, talons and all.  I took some anyways.


Despite assuring them that I was "Im Lai" or very full, they got me to eat more of the papadums before Mr. K's daughter took me on a walking tour of the village.  Worried that I would be too hot, I was given an umbrella to protect me from the sun.  She introduced me to some passers-by and I just smiled. We returned to the house and to a giant cucumber for dessert.  

Village Life.  Peaceful and Breathtaking.

Viengmany's son was getting ready for a nap so we loaded up the truck and got ready to leave.  I was fascinated by the dried garlic we were bringing back to the city and the rice sheller that Mr. K used to mechanically clean the sticky rice.  They asked if I wanted to buy some but since I have no idea how to cook sticky rice, I said no thank you.

Holding a bunch of dried garlic.  Smelled so good!

We returned home by a different road after touring a steel plant, where the workers were busy laying a new cement floor.  I was confused by the stop, but have realized there is no point in questioning anything that happens here.  The ride back was longer and bumpier but through the rice fields which was serene.

Laying down a cement floor. 
 I got back to the office and found Youla watching football.  I gave him the large take-away bag of food that Mr. K's wife had prepared.  It was officially nap time and I quickly fell into a sticky rice induced coma.  

No certain plans for the rest of the weekend, but I'm sure there will be an adventure to be had!

No comments:

Post a Comment