Thursday, October 25, 2012

Oreo High


Riding my new wheels into work was a mix of sweaty disaster and chaotic traffic jams.  As I'm used to walking, I have only realized that some streets are one-way, a terrifying realization on a bike.  

I made it into work and met with Mark to debrief everything XK.  We talked for a while before I retreated to my office to edit some reports and check emails.  The office was having a big lunch at noon and when I hadn't shown up by 12:02, my phone started ringing.  When I got downstairs everyone was eating laap and sticky rice.  I politiely took a couple bites, but because I've overdone it on sticky rice in XK, I knew I would have to lunch elsewhere.  The crowd died down and I biked into town to meet Kiki for grilled corn and sweet potato.  

After enjoying a somewhat healthy meal, I headed back to the office and again got a myriad of documents to read through before they were sent off.  I finally left the office at 5 and headed home.  Kiki and I had decided to make oreo pie and I crushed up oreos to make a crust.  I stuck it in the freezer and waited for her to come over.  

Having gotten distracted by happy hour with Brad and gang, I ended up making the pie myself, filling it with peanut butter chocolate. and meeting them at Lao Kitchen.  Although I usually love LK, I couldn't even fathom ordering off the menu.  Once Kiki was done, we walked so I could find some fresh grilled chicken and bubble tea.

We went back to my place and waited for Brad and his friends to come over after karaoke.  Although we had originally planned to eat the pie with them, we sliced up some bananas and dug it.  It was absolutely outrageous and we outdid and overdid ourselves.  The group finally showed up, beers in hand, and we convinced them to join our oreo high.  

photo.JPG
Lao cooking at its finest. 
As I was leaving on Tuesday morning for a business trip in Luang Prabang, this was a sweet farewell to Brad and Teagan, who are continuing to bigger and better Lao tourist destinations on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment