Thursday, October 25, 2012

Kitten Krazy


It was quite the sabaidee Sunday as I met Kiki for fruit at Sabaidee cafe then headed over to try the infamous mango pancake at Sabaidee restaurant where Brad and clan were dining. 

The pancake was great and certainly hit the spot, but it was also huge and impossible to finish.  Definitely for sharing next time!  Having stayed out late the night before, the others were in no rush to do any activities and keen on finding a nice bar to start the BBL festivities.  I walked around with them for a bit but passed on the drinking venture and headed home.  

This is when everything got a little crazy.  

Well, not too crazy, but after scoping around facebook and finding a Lao animal rescue page, I decided that I needed to adopt a cat.  Kate actually is part of the organization and mentioned that there was a kitten in need of a home.  End of story.  Kiki and I needed to foster kittens.  I called Patty (autocorrect Party) who was housing the kittens post desexing on Saturday and she offered to pick us up at 5 to see them. 

When Kiki got out of work at 4, I dragged her to the market with me to buy a new bike (RIP Clunker) as renting everyday wasn't a great option.  I was able to get the bike, barter for a very legit bike lock and load the bike into the tuk tuk so we could both make it back into town to meet the Party.

She picked us up outside of Joma and drove us to her place which was swarming with cats.  I immediately recognized the little one as the kitten who we had seen at a house Kiki had visited as a potential renter.  The kitten had been thrown over a wat wall and is tiny.  We decided we needed her and two of her friends.  Because we are fostering them, Patty reassured us that if anything happens, she will gladly take them back.

We loaded them back into the car and took them to Kiki and Brad's place to surprise him.  The kittens adapted so well to their new environment and we were fascinated with them for hours.  

photo.JPG
Sok Dee, the newest addition to my Lao Family. 
Kiki and I were designated pizza picker uppers and we headed by bike to soul kitchen for take away.  Although we struggled to bungee cord the boxes to my bike, I was able to hold them steady with one hand and prepared to brake with the other.  We need to find a delivery place! 

photo.JPG
After some help, we successfully strapped pizza to the handle bars!
The cats were so entertaining but we pulled ourselves away to enjoy Spy wine at the bar next door.  Kiki and Brad have become best friends with the bartender and I was able to practice my Lao.  Another one of their Lao friends showed up and all of us ended up talking forever.  When we finally went back to their place, Brad was determined to retrieve the coconuts from the top of their tree and open them up.  Luckily the Lao friend was an experienced climber and even in the dark had no problem scaling the trunk.

Cracking them open with a butchers knife the size of my head, we enjoyed fresh coconut water and meat.  As it was now getting late and we didn't want to be out past curfew (the midnight rule is now being enforced with ASEM around the corner), I said my goodbyes and rode back into town.  

I'm actually looking forward to Monday back in Vientiane!

No comments:

Post a Comment