Monday, November 26, 2012

Thankful Thursday

The whole concept of hosting Thanksgiving started about a week before, when I found out that Kiki had never celebrated it.  Despite Brad resisting to partake in a holiday that inadvertently celebrated the exploitation of native americans, we finally convinced him to join in on the grounds that we were all thankful for surviving x number of months in Laos. 

After days of clicking around vegan foodie blogs, I finally decided on the menu for the evening (recipes have already been posted). I invited anyone who was interested to join in on the basis that it was going to be potluck, not because I didn't want to cook that much food, but because I only have one cook top in the apartment.  In the end, Laura came over with an amazing pumpkin bar dessert and a roasted pumpkin to serve the chili in.  Kiki, who helped me cook all week, ducked out of work early to assist and pick up some much needed Spy Wine.  Brad was held up until 9 pm, the latest ever, on a reporter who was taking his sweet old time writing the front page article.  We tried waiting for Brad, but eventually gave up.  With promises of chilled Beerlao upon his return he arrived in good spirits.

Nothing particularly noteworthy happened during our meal and it was a perfect night of friends and good food.  Being here constantly reminds me of how thankful I am for everyone in my life, but it was nice to slow down and actually celebrate it.

These were the only turkeys at our vegan feast!

No comments:

Post a Comment