Sunday, November 25, 2012

Smile and Nod

By the last day of the conference I didn't know how many more times I could stand to hear the phrase theoretical regional exchange.  It wasn't because I wasn't enjoying the conference, and in fact I found the whole thing very interesting, but because it was completely and utterly theoretical.  After spending the morning planning out a potential exchange involving a trip of Lao people to do a field visit in Sri Lanka, I felt as if we had completely wasted our time.  The Sri Lankan delegation even openly admitted that they didn't want to come to Laos.

Our booth setup with the posters I designed last week!
After being told on Wednesday that the conference would end on Thursday after lunch with donors, the time schedule was switched again and people were asked to stay for the afternoon.  People, especially those who had used the time to plan some tourist visits in Vientiane, were clearly upset, but no one said anything.  In addition, only four donors showed up to hear the proposals despite coordinators promising lots of time with many donating bodies.  A minister from the office of the minister (someone high up according to Barbara), was brought in to address the group and almost immediately shuffled out with his accompanying entourage or cameramen and reporters.  It was in that brief 5 minutes that Barbara reminded me not to pick my nose because it would surely end up on Lao television... thanks for the heads up!

Groups split up by country met again in the afternoon and it was clear that some people had ducked out to enjoy shopping and sightseeing.  The Lao delegation was paired with that of Thailand and Vietnam. Thailand was uninterested in meeting with any other country, which makes sense because it is significantly more developed than any other at the conference and its hard to imagine that they could learn anything from little Laos.  (They didn't have to act like jerks about it though!)

Having lost most of our group, I was asked to present as the Lao representative.  Unlike the asian women who presented, I at least spoke loud enough for people to nod in recognition.  Barbara snapped this great picture of me in full "sustainable livelihood discussion mode." 

Public speaking is just another thing I get to practice.  Jane of all trades.
Although it was just another day in Laos, I wasn't going to let thanksgiving be brushed aside.  Rushing home to finish up the cooking, clean the apartment and set the table, I left the conference, hopped on the bike (heels and all), and sped across town to assume my role as hostess.  Two hours until guests arrived and I was ready to roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment