Wednesday, July 11, 2012

So... I guess I'm moving to Laos?

With graduation behind me and the whole world left open for exploration, I actually never thought I would be saying to myself, "I guess I'm moving to Laos."

But, it's funny how things work out in the end and this is certainly only the first step in my "Yes, And..." adventure.  When I applied to be a Programming Intern in Laos with World Education in January and didn't hear back for over five months, I simply assumed that my resume had been lost to the evils of cyberspace.  Three weeks ago, upon receiving an email wondering if I was still interested in the position, the little seed of adventurous hope began to take root.  Of course I love my nannying job and working in Hartford has some appeal, but nothing gets me going like a long flight, the threat of malaria and a foreign language that looks like doodles on the inside cover of my chemistry notebook.  I began to imagine life in Laos but never once thought that it would become a reality.

In preparation for the interview, for which I was given less than 24 hours notice, I took out every book mentioning Laos in the library.  Starting with The Lonely Planet, I made my way through the history of the French colony to the belief in Theraveda Buddhism and the current politics of the tiny land-locked country.  I even took out the Musical Collection of Laos, which was slightly painful after the second track. I was ready to put it all out there.  And it worked.  Here I am, not even three weeks from the initial contact, with a contract to live and work in Laos for the next six months. Yes, And...

So, here we go.  I'm starting this blog to document the journey.  To capture moments, memories and maintain in contact along the way.  

Much Love,

Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment